Dog died in Tampa after ingesting Bufo toad’s toxin!

By April 9, 2019 April 11th, 2019 Uncategorized
poisonous toad

poisonous toadA dog in Tampa came in contact with the poisonous Bufo toad this past month while he was playing outside, and died shortly after the encounter. Partridge Animal Hospital wants to make sure all our pet owners are aware of this type of Amphibian that lives in our area.

The Bufo or (or Cane) toad is native to the lower southern areas of Texas throughout Central and South America, but they are well established in Florida. The Bufo (or Cane) toad are reddish-brown to grayish-brown with a light-yellow belly! The glands behind their eyes are what secrete the toxin.

Precautions Pet Owners Should Take Regarding The Outdoors:

Remember to always keep an eye on your furry family members when they are outside, keep their food and water indoors at all times, and keep your yard trimmed with a minimal amount of bushes in order to keep wasps, toads, and other creatures that seek a warm shelter away from your dogs playground.